Pages

Firefly Watching And Octopus Adventuring In Nibong Tebal

I have blogged quite a number of travel posts in these 2 years especially about Malaysia. However, the idea of writing for my hometown, Nibong Tebal (Penang, Malaysia) has never come across my mind. Not till recently, when my wish to walk around the firefly watching area finally be granted by Sze Ling, an old friend of mine drove me there after a short meet up in a laksa stall.




It too me 3 years to reach this place! What a shame I must say because you can't imagine how near my house actually is. Well, I can probably cycle there if I want to because the distance from my house isn't that far. Just... I am too pampered ever since I have stepped into my 20's.




Emm... not old OK. I am just, lazy... What a good excuse.
=P

Anyway, I was there finally and of course, I had equipped myself with my Pinkeggie (my camera). A number of photos were taken besides this river, called Sungai Kerian. Surprisingly, Nibong Tebal looks beautiful at this particular hour and spot. Unlike on the other side of this small, Chinese town which is crowded with shops, houses and factories.










So yes. It is true that Nibong Tebal firefly watching activity has become one of the tourist spot in Penang and it attracts a good number of tourists ever since it was being promoted by YB Tan Cheng Liang on 22nd March 2006. There will be firefly watching and octopus adventuring at this area.





Information

Location: Jetty Pasar Lama, Nibong Tebal.

Boat service: 7pm - 11pm

Rate for Firefly Watching (Up Stream)
Adult: RM12/pax Child: RM8/pax
Charter Boat: RM100/boat (Max. 15 persons/boat)

Rate for Firefly Watching (Down Stream)
Adult: RM15/pax Child: RM9/pax
Charter Boat: RM120/boat (Max. 15 persons per boat)

Important Contacts:

Majis Pembangunan Eco-Pelancongan,
3711 (Tingkat 1), Jln Ooi Kar Seng, Taman Sri Maju,
14300 Nibong Tebal, Seberang Perai Selatan,
Pulau Pinang.
H/P: 012-4742749, 012-5554873, 012-4515062, 012-4753320

Mesra Adventure,
Jetty Pasar Lama,
Nibong Tebal,
Pulau Pinang, Malaysia.
Tel: 012-5554873 (Tan Chin Hock), 019-4780382, 012-4515062
Website: www.amazingplanner.com.my

Pejabat Perhutanan Negeri Pulau Pinang
Tingkat 20, Menara KOMTAR
10300 Pulau Pinang.
Tel :04-6505250, 04-262 5272
Fax: 04-2636335
Email : jabatan@sukpp.gov.my

Pejabat Renjer Hutan Lipur Nibong Tebal,
Seberang Perai Selatan
14300 Nibong Tebal, Pulau Pinang
Tel: 604-5932877
(UP Ranger Azman 013-4213559)




View Larger Map




I will probably make a plan in the morning for octopus adventuring while another plan in the evening for firefly watching. These two activities are carried out in different time, that's what I heard.






The symbol of Nibong Tebal.



So far, I had been to Kuala Selangor for firefly watching. Believe me, it was intriguing. The twinkle twikle lights from the fireflies were beautiful especially during mating season. They occupied almost every tree at the riverbank. As a result, the trees along Kuala Selangor River (Sungai Kuala Selangor) look like Christmas trees!

As for firefly watching in Sungai Kerian, well I am not sure. I should really check it out.





Now, I am wondering how will an octopus adventuring look like? Will I have to dive into the water to meet the octopus? Or, will I have to walk on the mud? I am curious.

I wonder how will the octopus look like?
Will they be gigantic octopus like in the movie?




Or will it be the baby octopus like in the Sushi King?
Chuka Lidako?







If it is the baby octopus, I shall bring fire and pan along and make my own picnic. Wait, maybe I cooking pot is better. Make it steamboat style!

Yum yum~



Refrence:
northern.malaysianaturalheritage.com

Photo courtesy:
animals.nationalgeographic.com
keropok.com
sarcasticgamer.com
tylerr.glogster.com